Skoda Octavia Estate - Best estate cars
The Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
The Skoda Octavia Estate has pushed the boundaries, as it's bigger and better than its predecessor. It was first crowned best estate at the 2013 Auto Express New Car Awards, and again in 2019 following a refresh in 2017, it's a great all-rounder.
The Octavia Estate has always been one of the most spacious cars in its class, and now it boasts a 610-litre boot, and this extends to 1,740 litres with the rear seats folded.
The Estate is 90mm longer and 45mm wider than before, resulting in increased legroom, headroom and elbow room for a more comfortable ride. It's economical, too - the 104bhp 1.6 TDI has a six-speed manual and has low emissions that benefit company car drivers.
It doesn't lack for equipment either, with Bluetooth, DAB radio and engine stop/start coming as standard, as well as a double-sided boot floor, a rubbish bin and an ice scraper hidden in the fuel filler cap, while the most recent update added a torch in the boot and umbrellas in the doors. All this can be yours for around the same money as a VW Golf hatch, too.
Best estate cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 21. Skoda Octavia Estate - currently readingThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 32. BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 43. Volvo V60The Volvo V60 has been reborn into a hugely stylish and desirable car, yet still offers brilliant practicality
- 54. Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 65. Vauxhall Insignia Sports TourerThe latest Insignia moves upmarket, and an increase in size boosts the estate's practicality
- 76. Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 87. Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 98. Peugeot 308 SWWhen it comes to compact estates, the 308 SW is ahead of the pack with its classy cabin and efficient engines
- 109. Volkswagen Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate
- 1110. BMW 3 Series TouringLike the larger 5 Series, the 3 Series Touring mixes practicality, sharp handling and efficiency to devastating effect