Skoda Octavia Estate - Best estate cars
The Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
The Skoda Octavia Estate has pushed the boundaries, as it's bigger and better than its predecessor. It was first crowned best estate at the 2013 Auto Express New Car Awards, and again in 2019 following a refresh in 2017, it's a great all-rounder.
The Octavia Estate has always been one of the most spacious cars in its class, and now Skoda claims the new model boasts a 640-litre boot rising to 1,700 litres with the rear bench folded.
The new estate looks far more sophisticated and is able to hold its head high among its premium rivals. The interior is also impressive, with some materials which could easily belong to an Audi.
It's economical, too, with a range of efficient petrol and diesel engines, while plug-in hybrid tech will also be available.
It doesn't lack for equipment either, with Bluetooth, DAB radio and engine stop/start coming as standard, as well as a double-sided boot floor, a rubbish bin and an ice scraper hidden in the fuel filler cap, while the most recent update added a torch in the boot and umbrellas in the doors. All this can be yours for around the same money as a VW Golf hatch, too.
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 2Skoda Octavia Estate - currently readingThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 3BMW 5 Series TouringThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 4Toyota Corolla Touring SportsThe Toyota Corolla Touring Sports is an extremely competent package, with efficient engines and great residuals.
- 5Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 6Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 7Audi A6 AvantAudi's A6 mixes premium luxury with serious load-lugging capability
- 8Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 9Ford Focus EstateThe Ford Focus Estate delivers a fun-driving and family-friendly option at a sensible price
- 10Peugeot 508 SWThe versatile Peugeot 508 SW offers flexible and spacious practicality with a premium-feel interior
- 11VW Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate