Volvo XC60 T8 - best plug-in hybrid cars
We gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
The headline figures for the XC60 T8 are seriously impressive. Over 400bhp, 130mpg, 0-62mpg in 5.2 seconds and all the while carrying a heavy, SUV body. Like most hybrids, you’ll struggle to match the claimed fuel efficiency in the real world.
The XC60’s 2,115kg kerbweight means the supercharged and turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder is required to step in any time you go near the throttle, harming efficiency. The twin-charged engine, coupled with the electric motor is pretty impressive engineering nonetheless.
The XC60 T8 is at its best cruising along where it offers great ride quality. This might seem at odds with the impressive power at your disposal but the strength of the powertrain actually adds to the effortless feel. Emissions are kept down to 49g/km and an electric-only range of 28 miles is available if you’re careful.
The interior build quality is exceptional with a healthy amount of technology and a lot of space. The T8 is only available in the top two trims, Inscription Pro or R-Design Pro so there’s always a good smattering of equipment with this engine option. The sportier R-Design gets 21-inch alloys, Alcantara sport seats and a bodykit.
Top 10 best plug-in hybrids to buy now
- 1IntroductionThe plug-in hybrid market has grown exponentially in recent years. Here are our top 10 electrified favourites.
- 2Mercedes E 300 deThe Mercedes E 300 de offers a familiar yet cost-effective alternative to mainstream company cars.
- 3Hyundai Ioniq PHEVThe Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
- 4BMW 530eThe BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
- 5Volvo XC60 T8 - currently readingWe gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
- 6Mercedes E 300 eThe plug-in hybrid Mercedes E 300 e emphasises all the great hallmarks of the regular E-Class with little drawbacks.
- 7Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid The latest Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid is a great all-rounder and is hard to fault in any single area.
- 8Kia Niro PHEVThe Niro PHEV isn’t the most interesting car to drive, but it’s easy to live with and there’s decent space on offer.
- 9Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVThe first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
- 10Toyota PriusThe latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
- 11Range Rover P400eThe Range Rover P400e turns out to be a successful first attempt at a plug-in hybrid from Land Rover.