MINI Roadster vs Mazda MX-5
Can the new MINI Roadster topple the class-leading Mazda MX-5? Our first test has all the answers...
The MINI Roadster was always going to struggle to knock the MX-5 off the top of the roadster tree –and unfortunately, it isn’t quite up to the challenge.
While it has a broad range of talents and very impressive straight-line performance, the MINI can’t quite conceal its hatchback underpinnings. Ultimately, it lacks the instant driver involvement that makes the Mazda such a compelling choice.
Car group tests
- Abarth Punto vs Corsa SRi
- Jaguar XE 300 Sport vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio vs Jaguar F-Pace
- Alpina XD3 Biturbo vs Porsche Macan S Diesel
- BMW M2 CS vs Porsche 718 Cayman GTS vs Alpine A110 S
- Audi TTS vs Alpine A110 vs Porsche 718 Cayman
- Ariel Nomad
- Aston Martin DB11 AMR vs Bentley Continental GT
- Aston Martin Vantage vs Porsche 911 GTS
- BMW 5 Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90
- Abarth 124 Spider (2016-2019) review
- Abarth Punto (2008-2015) review
- Alfa Romeo Giulia review
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio review
- Alfa Romeo 4C (2014-2019) review
- Ford Puma ST-Line: long-term test review
- Honda e: long-term test review
- Land Rover Discovery Sport D180: long-term test review
- Renault Clio Iconic: long-term test review
- SEAT Mii electric: long-term test review
- Skoda Superb iV: long-term test review
- New AC Cobra 378 Superblower 2021 review
- New Alpine A110 Legende GT 2021 review
- New Aston Martin Vantage Roadster 2020 review
- New Callum Vanquish review
- New Audi A6 50 TFSI e 2020 review
- New Bentley Continental GT Speed 2021 review
- New Caterham Super Seven 1600 2020 review
- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray review
- New Cupra Formentor e-Hybrid 2021 review
- New Cupra Formentor 2020 review
Used car tests
- Used Alfa Romeo Giulia review
- Used Bentley Bentayga review
- Used Bentley Continental GT review
- Used DS 5 review
- Ferrari 348: Buying guide and review (1989-1994)
- Ferrari F40: Buying guide and review (1987-1992)
- Ferrari Mondial: Buying guide and review (1980-1993)
- Used Fiat 500 review
- Used Fiat 124 Spider review
- Fiat Dino Coupe: Buying guide and review (1966-1973)
However, the margin of victory is very small, and the ageing MX-5 struggles to keep up in a number of key areas. Many buyers will be drawn by the MINI’s glitzy design, spacious boot and efficient engine. But on the road, its harsh ride and torque steer disappoint.
Another deciding factor is price. Although the Roadster appears cheaper and should cost less to run, it’s not especially good value. If you specify all the kit that’s standard on the MX-5, the Roadster will work out £2,840 more expensive – and that’s before you add sat-nav or any of MINI’s eye-catching features.
What’s more, adding all these options goes against the less-is-more philosophy that has made the Mazda such a tremendous success. Our fully specced Cooper S test car is £26,940 – closer in price to the bigger and more upmarket Audi TT than the pure and simple Mazda. After 20 years at the top, the MX-5 shows no sign of slowing down.
WinnerMazda MX-5 Sport Tech ★★★★★
With its simple recipe of rear-wheel drive and a low kerbweight, the Mazda retains its crown. But it won’t suit all with its limited practicality. Most buyers will be able to put up with the high running costs due to the thrilling dynamics and generous kit, though, and if you want a fun two-seater roadster, the MX-5 still has the edge.
2nd MINI Cooper S Roadster ★★★★
The Roadster falls agonisingly short of victory on its road test debut. It’s the best soft-top MINI, and has the edge over the Mazda for running costs and practicality. Performance is great, too, and it’s nearly as agile as its rival in corners. But the stiff ride means it’s tiring over longer distances and the lengthy options list can make it expensive.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingCan the new MINI Roadster topple the class-leading Mazda MX-5? Our first test has all the answers...
- 21st Mazda MX-5 Sport TechTwo-seater roadster is the established class leader. But is it under threat here?
- 31st MINI RoadsterLatest addition to MINI range aims to add even more fun
- 4Facts and figures