Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronic
Few cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
Few cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class. The seven-speed 7G-tronic transmission is a traditional torque convertor unit and is getting on a bit now, but in the German firm’s flagship it provides almost imperceptible gear changes.
It’s also calibrated to make relaxing progress, which means early upshifts and a reluctance to kickdown unnecessarily eagerly on the motorway. And while there are paddleshifters, you rarely have to use them because the gearbox is so good and second-guessing your mood.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automaticThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDKPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automaticOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automaticIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronic - currently readingFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S
- 11McLaren 650S