Best used small 4x4s and SUVs
The Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used small SUV: Peugeot 2008
Prices from: £6,500Our pick: Peugeot 2008 2013 (13) 1.2 PureTech 82 Allure, 44,000 miles, £7,300
The Peugeot 2008 is likely to be exactly what you’re after in a small SUV. It delivers a comfortable driving experience, is practical and has enough versatility for growing families. Crucially, it’s also jacked up just enough to gain the SUV street cred buyers want.
There’s no four-wheel-drive version, but owners don’t often take this sort of car off-road. Instead, the SUV-style body is great for visibility, with a higher, more commanding driving position, and practicality. If you’ve got children this will be an easy car to live with.
As used prices fall, it’s looking increasingly appealing, because the French supermini-based SUV offers more space than its sister car, the 208 hatch, but still has a compact footprint, so it’s easy to drive.
There’s 360 litres of boot space, plus decent leg and headroom for passengers. The 60:40-split back seats fold to leave a completely flat load area of 1,172 litres. A low load lip means it’s easy to access the boot and there’s also extra storage under the load bay floor.
The Peugeot’s soft suspension keeps body roll fairly well under control. It never feels unstable, cornering confidently, but perhaps lacks the precision and fun factor you’ll find in other rivals. The use of the original i-Cockpit set-up means the 2008’s steering wheel is very small by class standards, and while that means fast responses, it can make the car feel nervous.
A small SUV isn’t likely to be bought by keen drivers, so the 2008’s comfortable ride shines through. The 81bhp 1.2-litre three-cylinder PureTech petrol needs working but is peppy enough, yet the real boon is its low CO2 emissions and relatively strong fuel economy.
The manual gearbox is notchy, but we’d pick it over the automatic, while Allure trim offers plenty of kit.
On the road: Ride is comfortable due to the 2008’s soft suspension. The 1.2-litre engine is peppy if you work it.
Interior: There’s decent space inside and a high seating position offers a good view. Versatile boot is easy to load.
Due to the fact we selected a 2013 model, BuyaCar.co.uk’s finance calculator won’t quote for a PCP deal, but on Hire Purchase you’ll spend £215 a month to own one of these cute compact crossovers in desirable Allure trim.
That’s affordable ownership, and with fuel, tax and servicing over a typical three years your monthly motoring budget will likely not break through £300.
Suzuki Ignis Mk2
The Suzuki Ignis is a little more expensive than the 2008 because it’s a newer model, but it’s also more compact. The Ignis is still a great small SUV, however, because even in entry-level SZ3 spec the Suzuki comes with loads of standard kit, while it looks great and is fun to drive.
Fiat Panda 4x4 2005
If you’re looking for a small SUV that actually has off-road ability, the Panda 4x4 is a great choice. It’s surprisingly capable on tough terrain thanks to its four-wheel-drive powertrain, low kerbweight and small footprint. Although the Fiat isn’t as refined as the Peugeot, it’s fun to drive on the road.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVs - currently readingThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018