Porsche 911 PDK
Performance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
Performance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic. Yet the firm’s seven-speed PDK twin-clutch gearbox is so good that you’ll wonder why you ever bothered with a clutch pedal.
Like rival systems, Porsche’s PDK serves-up seamless shifts when left to its own devices and rapid-fire changes when you take manual control. The transmission is also available with a launch control system that delivers neck-snappingly quick 0-60mph times. The only downside is that Porsche cheekily charges extra for steering wheel shift paddles.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automaticThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDK - currently readingPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automaticOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automaticIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronicFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S