BMW 5 Series - best plug-in hybrid cars
The BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
The current 5 Series is the best car in its class to drive, so adding a hefty electric motor to the 2.0-litre turbo petrol from the 520i had the potential to upset this BMW’s finely honed dynamics. Thankfully, BMW has delivered a car capable of 29 miles on electric power only and a claimed 149mpg while maintaining a ride quality which is top of the executive car class.
The 530e is no sports saloon, but the engine does produce a combined 249bhp and 310lb ft of torque - enough shove to hustle you from 0-62mph in 6.2 seconds.
It may not be as quick as the Mercedes E300 e, but the 530 e is cheaper at around £41,000. The 530e makes the most sense as a company car, emitting just 44g/km and slotting into the 16 per cent BIK tax band.
Top 10 best plug-in hybrids to buy now
- 1IntroductionThe plug-in hybrid market has grown exponentially in recent years. Here are our top 10 electrified favourites.
- 2Mercedes E 300 deThe Mercedes E 300 de offers a familiar yet cost-effective alternative to mainstream company cars.
- 3Hyundai Ioniq PHEVThe Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
- 4BMW 530e - currently readingThe BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
- 5Volvo XC60 T8We gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
- 6Mercedes E 300 eThe plug-in hybrid Mercedes E 300 e emphasises all the great hallmarks of the regular E-Class with little drawbacks.
- 7Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid The latest Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid is a great all-rounder and is hard to fault in any single area.
- 8Kia Niro PHEVThe Niro PHEV isn’t the most interesting car to drive, but it’s easy to live with and there’s decent space on offer.
- 9Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVThe first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
- 10Toyota PriusThe latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
- 11Range Rover P400eThe Range Rover P400e turns out to be a successful first attempt at a plug-in hybrid from Land Rover.