Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automatic
The Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
The sleek and desirable F-Pace is fitted with the same eight-speed automatic gearbox that helped to revitalise its saloon car sister model. And while the traditional torque convertor unit may not have the hi-tech appeal of dual-clutch systems, it’s so smooth and quick to respond that you won’t feel you're missing out.
We'd take our auto F-Pace with the 178bhp Ingenium diesel option and all-wheel drive, as the combination of closely stacked ratios helps provide eager acceleration, while the long-legged eighth gear helps with the admirable economy figures. The eight-speed box works terrifically well in the 3.0-litre V6 diesel F-Pace too, mind you, and you can also enjoy it in Jaguar's BMW 3-Series rivalling XE model.
Best automatic cars
- 1IntroductionSlick-shifting and economical, and even great fun to drive - we list the 10 best automatic cars on sale today
- 2Volkswagen Polo DSG automaticWith its excellent refinement and classy cabin, the VW Polo is the small car that thinks big.
- 3Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automatic - currently readingThe Jaguar XF used to be our favourite automatic Jaguar, but the arrival of the new F-Pace SUV crossover has changed all that.
- 4Smart ForTwo six-speed twinamicThe Renault Twingo-based Smart ForTwo is a much more grown-up proposition than its predecessors, and the twinamic dual clutch gearbox option makes it better still.
- 5Porsche 911 PDKPerformance car purists will reel back in horror at the suggestion, but the rapid Porsche 911 makes more sense as an automatic
- 6SEAT Leon DSG automaticOur compact family car favourite, the SEAT Leon, makes a lot of sense as an automatic.
- 7BMW 3 Series eight-speed autoGiven BMW’s reputation for building the ‘ultimate driving machine’, you’d have thought a manual gearbox-equipped BMW 3 Series would be our pick.
- 8Toyota Prius CVT automaticIt wasn’t long ago that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) was seen as the future for automatic gearboxes.
- 9Mercedes S-Class 7G-tronicFew cars are better suited to an automatic gearbox than the luxurious Mercedes S-Class
- 10Tesla Model S
- 11McLaren 650S