BMW Z8, The World Is Not Enough (1999)
BOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
￼BMW saved the best until last for its final outing in a Bond film. After the slightly limp Z3 and sober-suited 750iL, the muscular and stylish BMW Z8 roadster suited Britain’s favourite spy down to the ground.
As ever, the car came packed with a huge array of hi-tech gizmos and gadgets, to which Pierce Brosnan’s Bond is introduced by Q’s new assistant, R (played by John Cleese).
￼￼￼These included a special key fob that could be used to drive the car remotely, plus titanium armour to protect Bond from the flying bullets of various henchmen.Yet the most spectacular addition to the BMW was a pair of surface-to-air missiles hidden behind vents in the car’s front wings.
Unfortunately, the Z8 met a grisly end when it was chopped in two by a circular saw hanging from a helicopter belonging to Bond nemesis Elektra King. However, BMW fans shouldn’t fret, as no Z8s were harmed in the film – the roadster’s launch wasn’t until several months after its release, meaning the model on screen was mocked up using a Corvette engine and a kit-car chassis.
- 1IntroductionWhat is the best James Bond car of all time? We've picked some of our favourites. What's yours?
- 2Aston Martin DB5BOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
- 3Lotus EspritBOND FACT: The Esprit that crashed into the sea was a mock-up fired by an air cannon.
- 4Sunbeam AlpineBOND FACT: The Alpine in Dr No was borrowed from a Jamaican resident and was one of only a few sports cars on the island.
- 5Aston Martin DBS￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
- 6Ford Mustang Mach 1￼￼BOND FACT: The Mustang chase was filmed on Las Vegas’ famous Fremont Street, which was still open to the public.
- 7BMW Z8 - currently readingBOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
- 8Aston Martin Vanquish￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
- 9Citroen 2CVBOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
- 10What the villains droveHe's behind you: some of our favourite vehicles driven by the villains