New Car Awards 2014: best estate car
The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
If you thought all estate cars were spacious, but just a little bit too sensible, think again. The SEAT Leon ST combines the style, sparkling driving experience and hi-tech kit of the hatchback with an extra dose of family-friendly practicality.
While the boot’s 587-litre carrying capacity isn’t the largest in its class, it’s more than big enough for most needs. Better still, the luggage area is well shaped, features a low loading lip and, with the rear bench folded flat, will accommodate a van-like 1,470 litres.
Yet it’s the attention to detail that really lifts the Leon above its rivals. Neat release handles in the boot allow you to fold the rear seats in one move, while a false floor creates hidden storage and a totally flat load bay, even with the back seats down.
There are a number of handy hooks, a 12V power supply and an easy-to-use, retractable load cover, too. There’s also the option to add a folding front passenger seat, which helps take the strain out of carrying extra-long items. When you’ve finished doing an impression of a removal van, the ST turns into a sleek and sharp-handling family car.
SEAT’s designers have done a good job of integrating the longer estate car tail into the head-turning Leon’s lines, while the driving experience remains unchanged. That means you get the same line-up of eager petrol and diesel powerplants, composed and confidence-inspiring handling and an interior that’s smartly designed and solidly finished.
That’s not all, either, because the ST undercuts its rivals on price, is packed with standard kit and is backed by seriously strong residuals. It’s so good, you’ll never want to pack light again.
Leon ST 1.2 TSI SE (£18,230)
As with the hatchback, the refined 1.2-litre TSI petrol engine delivers the best blend of performance and economy in the ST line-up, while mid-range SE trim gives you all the essentials as standard.
BMW 5 Series Touring
What the 5 Series Touring lacks in carrying capacity, it makes up for with thoughtful design, sparkling dynamics and surprisingly low costs. Neat details include the separate glass tailgate, while on the move the strong diesels and balanced rear-wheel-drive handling prove that estate cars needn’t be dull.
Skoda Octavia Estate
Last year’s winner still boasts a huge boot and robust image. The Octavia Estate is also well priced and has one of the best dealer networks around. Frugal diesels are the ultimate workhorses, but the small petrol turbos are smooth and effortless. Not the most glamorous choice, but the spacious Skoda will swallow all that’s thrown at it.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year - currently readingThe SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year The Porsche Macan is the 2014 Auto Express small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Range Rover Evoque commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year The Hyundai Santa Fe is the 2014 Auto Express large SUV of the Year, with the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and VW Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2014 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series Convertible and Porsche 911 Cab commended