Kia e-Niro - Best electric cars
Kia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
The pace of electric car development is relentless at the moment but the Kia e-Niro has arrived on the scene and taken a lead at the affordable end of the market. Using the same electric powertrain as the Hyundai Kona Electric, it’s a compact crossover with a 282-mile official range and a spacious interior that can be had for around £33,000.
The e-Niro looks similar to other Kia Niro models, there are also hybrid and plug-in hybrid options in the range, but there’s the telltale blanked-off grille to underline the fact than no internal combustion engine is present.
The interior is much the same as any other Niro - functional but not too exciting to look at with a slick infotainment system and space for five passengers. What does change is the standard gear selector, it’s swapped for with a rotary dial and that creates a little extra storage space. The 451-litre boot is very generous and there’s a compartment under the floor for the charging cables.
The e-Niro has a 201bhp motor driving the front wheels with power supplied from the 64kWh battery pack. The system is shared with the Kona Electric and it lifts e-Niro’s performance well beyond that of the hybrid and plug-in Niros. It’s much more sprightly than any family car this side of a hot hatch – especially in town. Paddles behind the wheel control the strength of the brake energy regeneration system but it’s not quite strong enough to let you drive on one pedal like in a Nissan Leaf. Plug the e-Niro into a 100kW fast charger and 54 minutes later you’ll have topped up the batteries from zero to 80 per cent. That’s quick and the 282-mile maximum range means you won’t even be doing it very often.
Best electric cars to buy 2019
- 1. Tesla Model 3
- 2. Kia e-Niro
- 3. Jaguar I-Pace
- 4. Hyundai Kona Electric
- 5. Tesla Model S
- 6. Nissan Leaf
- 7. Mercedes EQC
- 8. Audi e-tron
- 9. BMW i3
- 10. Renault ZOE
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-Niro - currently readingKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Hyundai Kona ElectricElectric version of Hyundai's family hatch is just as convincing as a Leaf
- 65. Tesla Model S Who says electric cars can't be fast or luxurious? Tesla's Model S does both while incorporating groundbreaking design
- 76. Nissan Leaf The Nissan Leaf was the first mass-produced EV to go on sale in the UK, and the Mk2 has moved things even further forward
- 87. Mercedes EQCThe Mercedes EQC doesn’t have the premium electric SUV segment to itself, but it’s a worthy contender
- 98. Audi e-tron Audi has joined the luxury electric SUV fray with the e-tron, it’s flagship plug-in vehicle.
- 109. BMW i3 BMW's i3 electric car delivers premium quality, tiny running costs and surprising pace
- 1110. Renault ZOERenault has gone for electric cars in a big way and the stylish ZOE supermini suggests it could be on to something