Kia e-Niro - Best electric cars
Kia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- Price £34,995
- Range 282 miles
- Charging time: 6h 10 min-9h 35 min (wallbox), 57 min (0-80%, 50kW)
- Rating: 4.5/5
The pace of electric car development is relentless at the moment but the Kia e-Niro remains one of the best electric cars you can buy.
The range starts with the e-Niro ‘2’ at around £29,595 after factoring in the government’s plug-in car grant - although the range is limited to 180 miles. Using the same electric powertrain as the Hyundai Kona Electric, the e-Niro ‘3’ offers a 282-mile official range that can be had for around £33,000.
There’s one big problem with the e-Niro: getting hold of one. Demand has outstripped supply ever since the pure-electric SUV arrived, because it’s an electric car that offers enough space to be used as an everyday family car, and it has a useful driving range.
Kia’s 64kWh battery is among the best in the business, to the point where you can’t fail to be impressed as it nudges down the range in individual miles, instead of being overly optimistic or pessimistic about its reserves.
The styling is a little conservative, perhaps, and the cabin is functional but fairly uninspiring. Yet these are mere glitches in what has quickly become the best do-it-all EV on the market. Yes, you’ll need to wait a while to get behind the wheel, but it’ll be worth it.
Best electric cars to buy 2020
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-Niro - currently readingKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Kia Soul EVFunky looking Kia Soul EV injects a bit of quirkiness to electric car market
- 65. Hyundai Kona ElectricHyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- 76. Renault ZoeThe Renault Zoe is one of the cheapest EVs but also one of the best
- 87. Polestar 2Polestar's second electric car aims to take the fight to the Tesla Model 3
- 98. Tesla Model STesla's Model S shows little signs of ageing with outstanding range and practicality
- 109. Peugeot e-208The Peugeot e-208 brings electric sophistication to the supermini segment
- 1110. Mercedes EQCFirst Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent