Tesla Model 3 - Best electric cars
We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- Price: £40,490-£56,490
- Range: 254-348 miles
- Charging time: 8h-11h 45 min (wallbox), 22 min (10-80%, 250kW)
- Rating: 5/5
The Model 3 was the electric car many had been waiting for. It’s a compact executive saloon rivalling the likes of the Mercedes C-Class and BMW 3 Series – a market with broad mainstream appeal – and it’s also one of the most convincing electric cars that money can buy.
It combines minimalist style, space-age technology, grin-inducing performance, cutting-edge charging tech – supported by the expansive and dedicated Tesla Supercharger network – and, most importantly, a long driving range. The entry-level Standard Range Plus model claims 254 miles on a single charge, but it doesn’t sacrifice performance to achieve this. The electric motor drives the rear wheels and powers the car from 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds, while top speed is 140mph.
The interior is nothing like what you’ll find in any BMW or Audi. The minimalist approach might not be to everyone’s taste but you can’t deny the wow factor.
Spend a bit more, and the four-wheel-drive Long Range version has two electric motors and a larger battery for a range of 348 miles, with 0-60mph dropping to 4.4 seconds. Then there’s the Model 3 Performance, which scorches from 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds, but is still capable of 329 miles on a full battery.
Best electric cars to buy 2020
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3 - currently readingWe've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-NiroKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Kia Soul EVFunky looking Kia Soul EV injects a bit of quirkiness to electric car market
- 65. Hyundai Kona ElectricHyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- 76. Renault ZoeThe Renault Zoe is one of the cheapest EVs but also one of the best
- 87. Polestar 2Polestar's second electric car aims to take the fight to the Tesla Model 3
- 98. Tesla Model STesla's Model S shows little signs of ageing with outstanding range and practicality
- 109. Peugeot e-208The Peugeot e-208 brings electric sophistication to the supermini segment
- 1110. Mercedes EQCFirst Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent