Toyota Corolla review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
The Corolla offers better fuel economy and emissions than many rivals thanks to its clever hybrid tech
The Corolla sets itself apart from its conventionally powered competition with its hybrid powertrains, the main appeal of which is the promise of low running costs.
The 1.8-litre hybrid returns a claimed maximum of 62.7mpg in the hatchback and Saloon, with 57.6mpg claimed in the Touring Sports. All figures are measured using the latest WLTP regulations, so these figures should be pretty attainable in real-world driving.
With a larger petrol engine making up part of its powertrain, the 2.0-litre hybrid takes a slight dent in economy – but not by much. The hatch is the most efficient, returning 57.6mpg, while the Touring Sports manages 53.2mpg on average
Emissions – and therefore initial road tax and company car tax rates – are low. The 1.8-litre hybrid hatchback is the cleanest option with 101g/km of CO2. The Benefit in Kind rate for company car users comes in at 25%.
The 2.0-litre model also produces a respectable figure of 111g/km of CO2, and so falls into the 27% tax band.
Our experts predict that the Toyota Corolla hatchback will retain around 47 to 51% of its value after 3 years and 36,000 miles come trade-in time. The saloon should hold onto around 49%, while the Touring Sports estate keeps about 51% of its original list price over the same period.
In this review
- 1Toyota Corolla reviewThe world’s best-selling car is better than ever, offering efficiency, peerless reliability and an enjoyable drive
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Toyota Corolla has an impressive chassis, but hybrid powertrain isn’t the most exciting
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingThe Corolla offers better fuel economy and emissions than many rivals thanks to its clever hybrid tech
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Corolla looks the part and is well made, although infotainment falls behind the best
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWith hatch, saloon and estate models on offer, the Toyota Corolla offers plenty of practical options
- 6Reliability and SafetyCorolla build quality is excellent, while customers are impressed with top safety levels