BMW 5 Series Touring - Best estate cars
The 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
If you want an estate car to impress in the company car park, go for the BMW 5 Series Touring. It’s available in SE and M Sport trims and with a wide range of strong petrol and diesel engines, all fitted with BMW's great eight-speed automatic gearbox.
Lower-spec four-cylinder diesel models bring great fuel economy – the 520d claims 55.4mpg economy and 134g/km emissions. However, Yet it still provides plenty of performance even when the Touring is loaded up.
The boot size is no match for its arch-rival, the Mercedes E-Class, but it still impresses, with the 570-litre space expanding to 1,700 litres with the back seats folded. And the BMW is set apart by useful features like the separate-opening tailgate glass, load dividing nets and self-levelling suspension.
Further forward, there’s plenty of space for passengers, although the transmission tunnel can get in the way for those in the middle rear seat. All occupants are likely to complain about the overly firm ride, too, unless you specify the optional adaptive dampers. But the 5 Series Touring is a very safe car, with ESP and a pop-up bonnet to protect pedestrians, has excellent towing capability and comes with good-value fixed-price servicing.
- 1IntroductionA good estate car delivers practicality, space and low running costs - here are the 10 best estates on sale in the UK today
- 2Skoda Octavia EstateThe Octavia is based on a Golf platform, but it's far larger and more versatile than its sibling, especially in Estate guise
- 3BMW 5 Series Touring - currently readingThe 5 Series Touring adds versatility to the latest model's hi-tech construction and kit
- 4Toyota Corolla Touring SportsThe Toyota Corolla Touring Sports is an extremely competent package, with efficient engines and great residuals.
- 5Mercedes E-Class EstateThe E-Class Estate leads the way for boot space in the executive class
- 6Skoda Superb EstateThe Superb Estate is even more versatile than the hatchback on which it's based
- 7Audi A6 AvantAudi's A6 mixes premium luxury with serious load-lugging capability
- 8Volvo V90The V90 returns the Swedish maker to the front of the upmarket estate car pack
- 9Ford Focus EstateThe Ford Focus Estate delivers a fun-driving and family-friendly option at a sensible price
- 10Peugeot 508 SWThe versatile Peugeot 508 SW offers flexible and spacious practicality with a premium-feel interior
- 11VW Passat EstateUpmarket design and plenty of hi-tech kit mark out this perennial family estate