Mercedes EQC - Best electric cars
First Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent
- Price: £65,720-£74,310
- Range: 259 miles
- Charging time: 12h 45 min (wallbox), 40 min (10-80%, 110kW)
- Rating: 4/5
In a similar situation to Audi, Mercedes was desperate to get a pure-electric model to market – and the EQC is the result. Eventually there will be a full range of bespoke electric EQ Mercedes, but in this case, the first model to wear the badge is an SUV that shares much with the mid-sized GLC range.
At the heart of the EQC is an 80kWh battery pack, which gives the car a range just shy of 260 miles; a clue that this car isn’t exactly light. However, there’s plenty of power and torque on tap to shift the bulk, with two motors – one on each axle – delivering a combined 403bhp and a whopping 760Nm of torque.
Performance is more than acceptable as a result, but the EQC isn’t the largest SUV on the market, so while the boot will be sufficient for most families’ needs, four adults won’t be entirely comfortable on a long journey. Some rivals offer faster charging, too.
As Mercedes’ first EV, the EQC is an accomplished effort, rather than a groundbreaking one.
Best electric cars to buy 2020
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-NiroKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Kia Soul EVFunky looking Kia Soul EV injects a bit of quirkiness to electric car market
- 65. Hyundai Kona ElectricHyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- 76. Renault ZoeThe Renault Zoe is one of the cheapest EVs but also one of the best
- 87. Polestar 2Polestar's second electric car aims to take the fight to the Tesla Model 3
- 98. Tesla Model STesla's Model S shows little signs of ageing with outstanding range and practicality
- 109. Peugeot e-208The Peugeot e-208 brings electric sophistication to the supermini segment
- 1110. Mercedes EQC - currently readingFirst Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent