Jaguar I-Pace - Best electric cars
Game-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- Price: £63,925-£74,425
- Range: 298 miles
- Charging time: 13h 30 min (wallbox), 45 min (10-80%, 100kW)
- Rating: 5/5
Jaguar is on a roll at the minute with the accomplished XE saloon, practical F-Pace and Porsche 911-rivalling F-Type in its portfolio. The I-Pace however, signals a change of direction from Jaguar. The British firm stole a march on its premium rivals when it launched the I-Pace, 2018’s Auto Express Car of the Year. Two years later, and the likes of Audi and Mercedes have still yet to launch bespoke EVs, rather than cars based on combustion-engined platforms.
Recent software upgrades have boosted the I-Pace’s range to 292 miles, and for 2021 there’s a major overhaul of the car’s infotainment system. It’s now ‘always on’, so it can accept updates without requiring a trip to the dealership.
The basic I-Pace package remains the same, though, so this is a comfortable car with space for four and a decent boot; it could easily take over as your single family car. The best thing about the I-Pace, though, is the way it drives, with stonking performance and excellent handling. In effect it’s everything that an electric Jaguar should be.
Best electric cars to buy 2020
- 1IntroductionThere are more electric cars than ever to choose from so we've picked the top 10 best electric cars you can buy in the UK now
- 21. Tesla Model 3We've waited a long time for the Tesla Model 3 and find it's in a class of its own
- 32. Kia e-NiroKia’s electric SUV offers a big electric range at an affordable price point
- 43. Jaguar I-Pace - currently readingGame-changing SUV puts Jaguar at the front of the premium EV pack
- 54. Kia Soul EVFunky looking Kia Soul EV injects a bit of quirkiness to electric car market
- 65. Hyundai Kona ElectricHyundai Kona makes use of battery sharing to create oen of the best EVs on the market
- 76. Renault ZoeThe Renault Zoe is one of the cheapest EVs but also one of the best
- 87. Polestar 2Polestar's second electric car aims to take the fight to the Tesla Model 3
- 98. Tesla Model STesla's Model S shows little signs of ageing with outstanding range and practicality
- 109. Peugeot e-208The Peugeot e-208 brings electric sophistication to the supermini segment
- 1110. Mercedes EQCFirst Mercedes in EQ line up is the EQC and it sets a good precedent