Which off-roader has the best mix of style and substance?
It’s not enough for off-road models to be capable of tackling the roughest terrain. These days, they have to be just as capable on-road, with luxurious cabins, practical interiors and agile handling that belies the sheer size and weight of these cars. Our survey names the 4x4s that offer the best of both worlds.
Winner: Nissan X-Trail No full-size SUVs did particularly well in this year’s survey, but the Nissan X-Trail was the best of the lot. Despite the X-Trail’s size, owners praised how easy it was to drive and how it's relatively cheap to run. The spacious cabin, huge boot and impressive off-road ability were all part of the X-Trail’s appeal.
Last place: Land Rover Defender Given its poor performance throughout this year’s survey and its last-place finish overall, it’s no surprise to find the Land Rover Defender at the bottom of the 4x4 class. It’s the oldest car in the survey and it’s obviously struggling to deliver the comfort, refinement and performance that people have come to expect from modern SUVs.
|Last place||Land Rover||Defender||73.38%|
See the results…
- 1IntroductionWhich city car is the best? Which SUV should you avoid? Find out in our rundown of the best and worst cars in each class
- 2Best superminiWhich models offer the benefits of a small car, with the reassurance and solidity of something a bit bigger?
- 3Best compact family carWhich compact family cars give the best combination of style and practicality?
- 4Best family carValue, practicality and reliability are essential values in the family car sector
- 5Best compact executive carQuality, durability and prestige are what buyers look for, and you’ve told us who does it best
- 6Best executive carWhich executive cars manage the tricky combination of prestige, comfort and dynamics?
- 7Best sports carOur survey finds out which sports cars give you the biggest thrills
- 8Best MPVWhich cars carry the family and all their clobber from A to B most effectively?
- 9Best SUV - currently readingWhich off-roader has the best mix of style and substance?